Friday, November 27, 2009

Journey



To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else. ~Emily Dickinson

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Life: It is about the gift not the package it comes in. ~Dennis P. Costea, Jr.

I like her because she smiles at me and means it. ~Anonymous

Someone to tell it to is one of the fundamental needs of human beings. ~Miles Franklin

Soul-mates are people who bring out the best in you. They are not perfect but are always perfect for you. ~Author Unknown

You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with. ~Wayne W. Dyer



I just finished the book The Shack and thoroughly enjoyed the journey. Not only did it take me to places that I have actually visited physically but it took me to places deep within my heart that were carrying hurts that needed to be exposed. In my eyes, life is a journey and we will never arrive at that perfect destination while on this earth. Perfection is a perception not a reality, being content where you are is something that makes each day worth living. When I wake up every morning I see that day as a gift and try to use as such. Tomorrow is not promised so leaving good things left unsaid might leave those you leave behind wondering. Life is what we make of it and there is NO perfect time, place, person, event…anything. It is all about living in the present and embracing each thing as it comes our way.

I was recently asked if I believed in soul mates….the romantic in me would love to believe that this is a reality but being the realist part of me finds it hard to believe. I would not say that I am a complete pessimist when it comes to romance and love but I can say that it is difficult for me to believe that one can run into someone and instantly know that they are the one for them. I believe that relationships are like structures, they are built over time and if they are not maintained then they will fall into ruin. The key to having a perfect mate is BEING a perfect mate. Relationships are not the warm fuzzy that you get in the beginning but the best part comes many years down the road when you have endured through the rough spots and trials.

Is it a foolish assumption to believe that someday I will find someone that will love me on purpose just because they think that I am great? I don’t think so; I think that it is foolish NOT to believe. I also believe that the person that will be that and more for me is out there but my patience is growing thin. I say this because all of my close friends are married and/or involved and have been for years. It is hard for me to show up and not be a little jealous of the things that they have. I miss companionship. I miss having someone to call when something great (or not-so-great) happens. I miss going to sleep and cuddling then waking up with someone beside me. Mind you, I miss these things but I will not settle this time. The person whom I choose to align my life with has to be THAT one who makes my heart skip a beat when I see him glance at me across the room.

I know that these things are possible because I sat outside a boy’s house when I was 15 with my best girlfriend many, many times. I used to hear about how much she loved him and hear how much she wanted to be with him. Of course I wanted to believe this was true and today I see that it IS true. They have 2 children and are still hopelessly in love with one another. I know that they have been through some rough times and wanted to call it quits but they endured. I have many friends that have been couples for years and faced the hard times head-on and remained committed no matter what. The anchor was the love (NOT the warm fuzzy) that they had for one another. Love is NOT a feeling but a VERB…it requires action. The instant click is great but that has to be nurtured and cultivated rather than taken for granted. All too often couples jump into a relationship head first, which is great but the binding force has to be commitment and genuine concern for the other’s feelings. If one never takes a chance then they will never find the fulfillment of a lasting relationship with a partner who enjoys similar things. Someday someone will whisper those three little words in my ear that will be my one-and-only until………

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE!!

I finally did it, I have my OWN domain and website.  This blog will remain open but I will be moving content over to the new website and add...