Thursday, September 10, 2009

Truth


God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose. Take which you please - you can never have both. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unless you’ve lived on a different planet you have heard the song True (http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/spandau_ballet/true.html) by Spandau Ballet. I was listening to it in the car this morning it brought back a lot of peaceful and great memories. When I did a search about the meaning of the song I found that it had been written as a love song to someone who did not know the true thoughts of the author. He did not want to be foolish but he wanted her to know how he felt. I guess that is the reason it struck home for me is because it made me thing of my blog about Fear (http://livingincognito2.blogspot.com/2009/09/fear.html). I think that in a new relationship it is difficult to say things that you might want to say for fear of being rejected (you might have to read the blog entry to understand that statement). Rejection is difficult to swallow but so is living behind a mask!

I did a search on dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/true) for the word true and I did not realize all of the different meanings of the word….I mean, I know the value of the word but I guess I did not really think about how deeply the word reached. Truth is a multifaceted word that means a deep-seated and sincere desire to be loyal, faithful and steadfast in character. If you are not a genuine person then are you truly living your best life? Are you being true to yourself? Why the need to hide behind a mask and be someone you are not? Plain and simple….fear. Fear that someone will not like you for the person that you are or are not!? Fear is a gripping emotion and if we allow it to take root in our soul then we will never become the person that we WANT or NEED to be—you are esetially living a lie In reality speaking truth is not only in words but in our actions too. I tell my children all of the time that there is more than one way to tell a lie….lies by submission and lies by omission. We can speak an untruth easily but when we do not say something then we are also lying. We might think that not saying something is not lying but it is! Lies by omission are those things that we hold inside wishing that we’d said but never did!

My former Pastor once said that we should never leave any good thing left unsaid because you never know when you will take your last breath. Life (and death) comes at us fast and we cannot live our lives with regret and wish that we’d said something that we should have said. When your children, family, friends or partner does or says something that you have a good thought about….SAY IT! It’s never too late to say something good to someone and we should never hold anything back for fear of rejection! It might be something that you’ve never done before but open your mouth and start seeing the great things around you. Even in adversity don’t think…why me! Instead, believe that the situation will squeeze something great out of you! When we are going through calamity we seem to look at the dark side of things but instead try to see something positive coming out of the circumstance.

When we are amidst a trial we search for blame to try to keep from self-searching but when things are going great we do not do that!? We can blame during bad times but what about during the good times? We don’t think…why me!? When things are good, do you!? Of course you don’t and it’s human nature to do those things. In the movie Pretty Woman she says that “the bad stuff is easier to believe” and it truly is but no matter how bad things might seem there is someone who has it worse! We don’t want to try to compare ourselves with one-another but when things look the darkest try to put it all in perspective and seek something good instead of remaining in the black cloud! We have to live a transparent life in order to obtain the happiness that we wish to someday have. We cannot keep wish for the next good thing until we are happy! Happiness comes today, right now…in the middle of the darkest hour you can make a choice to be happy because it comes from within (http://livingincognito2.blogspot.com/2009/09/happiness.html)!

The photo I chose for this blog posting are the Chinese symbols for truth, honor, respect and integrity…the four pillars of a sold relationship (in my eyes). I write so much about relationships and building a good foundation because over the years I have learned that nothing is more important than great relationships. I have handed the power over a couple of times but I will never do that again. I want solid foundations with everyone in my life and if I say too much then I guess that person was not supposed ot be IN my life. This goes not just for romantic encounters but also with friends and/or family. Of course I am not fond of being single but my life is rich and full without a man beside me and a great partner will only enhance the wonderful life that I live! In that or any relationship I must have complete truth, honor, respect and integrity before I will be happy. I cannot make someone be that, it has to come naturally from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NEW WEBSITE!!

I finally did it, I have my OWN domain and website.  This blog will remain open but I will be moving content over to the new website and add...